Monday, July 14, 2008

Start of the Blog

Hi All - you've probably found this place because of Alison's email. If not, then I intend to post the text from that email sometime soon so those of you that have joined in late or missed out can catch up on this history of this journey.

If you are viewing this blog, then it is probably because you know and care about Alison, and that's a good thing because she is definitely worth it. We've got a long and difficult road ahead of us at the moment and we're happy to have your help and thoughts along the way. However, to save us from repeating ourselves 30 times a day with updates etc., we thought that a blog would be a good way to keep everyone up to date on the latest news.

Now I know that the blog is only as good as the information that goes into it so I will try to keep it all up to date. I really will.

But...I make no promises. So, you have been warned.

Also a warning to all little kiddies that may be reading. I have no intention of holding back on this blog so if I'm having a bad day, you may well hear about it in full 7.1 Dolby, colour and 3D. Although I'm sure that those of you who know me realise that this will be done in context, be fully justified and have appropriate impact.

So - where are we at????

We know:
  • Ali has been diagnosed with cancer in her left breast
  • this is a high grade (III) cancer
  • the cancer has appeared to have metastasized ('Google' it if you don't know) to her liver
  • this is considered a bad thing

What next???
We have an appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday morning to find out more. That evening is likely to be the date of the next update because really, nothing much is going to happen between now and then.

What can you do???
Hard to say really. I don't want to sound lame but there is not much to do at this point. Don't worry, we will be pushing doctors etc. to their limit (insurance company already dislikes me, doctors' surgeries quiver when they see my number come up on their phones and I'm on first name basis with the hospital so believe me, we will push hard).

What's good - normal life stuff, talking about the kids, what's going on, yes you're interested in how things are but life in general still has to happen
What's not so good - "hang in there", "stay strong". If you plan on calling just for the sake of calling, then please, send an email (I realise this sounds harsh, but that's the way it is).

I think that's enough for this first post. I warn you all again, this blog is likely to be indulgent, personal, sometimes offensive and totally for our own interests.

You stay tuned at your own discretion.

Love to all and thank you

9 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Alison and Andrew, I just got your email. Thank you for letting me know how things are going. Please know that I am thinking of you and am ready to help in any way. Lots of Love Anna

Rebecca E said...

Hello Ali and Andrew. Thanks for the email. I have been thinking about you alot Ali.

The blog is a great idea. Everyone will appreciate your updates.

Take care. xoxo Bec.

Anonymous said...

Dear Al & Pikey,
well done on the blog by the way. I'm hopeless at all this stuff & didn't even know you could do that sort of thing. Think I need to get out more! Hope you liked the kids big kisses email. It sort of looked like they were all yawning but 10 photo's later and that was as good as it was going to get.
Hope all goes smoothly Wed.
lol Janeo and gang.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison and Andrew,
thanks for the email and also thanks for keeping all your friends who care for you in touch with what is happening. I'm ready to help in anyway that is needed...cakes..casseroles....DVDs etc whatever. We're thinking of you all. Love Jo D & family.

Anonymous said...

Hey sister and little bro
Well done with the blog. Everything humanly possible is crossed for tomorrow. Love and hugs to the Pikelets and their amazing mum and dad. From big sister, mad brother in law, and the cousins XXXXXXX

Unknown said...

Hi Guys, its Parkes here. Today is a beautiful day here so we are hoping that is a sign for today. Hello to the little pikelets from your Parkes cousins...they would love to catch up with you guys. Hey Asti while trying to do my Uni Masters, work fulltime, run the school uniform shop and be a mum I decided to add another Musical to my plate (yes I am still mad). We are doing Seussical the Musical and I play this sassy bird (yes type cast). You will have to come and see...its in late September.
To Andrew I am prepared to be there in anyway and I have told Bob and Jill I will come up there and look after the animals if they want to come and visit you guys.
Love to you all, The McGraths

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison and Andrew, you probably don't remember me from back at the Tahmoor Thirlmere days, but Jill sent your email on to me and what a great idea this blog thingy(I have never been to one before) I know I am getting old but it did take me a while to work out why you kept talking about PIKELETS all the time DOH
I will keep up to date with your news on here and thinking of you and your family. I hope this goes through and doesn't get lost in cyberspace as I haven't done this before Noelene Bolton

Jules said...

Hi Ali and Andrew,

Thank you so much for the update and BIG thanks for the advice on what is useful and what is not!

To ring or not to ring? That has been the question. I have honestly been trying to resist the temptation. (nearly successfully)

It is wonderful to have this Blog space to send love and positive thoughts to you Ali. I hope your appointment went well yesterday.

Love and hugs to all the Pikeys,

xox Jules.
Kisses from Greg and da kids too.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ali,Andrew & Kids,
To say that we are thinking of you all with love would be an understatement!!! Like all other comments,we think the Blog a good idea & appreciate your candor & bravery in keeping all of us posted.We feel the distance greatly,but please know you will always be in our thoughts & any time you need anything more we will do anything possible to help. Much love,Aunty Lyn & Allan