Friday, August 15, 2008

"Kill the f#@%ing possum"

That's what Ali said to me when I asked her why she was wandering around our backyard at 2:45 am this morning!

This also explains why I am up at 3:00am writing on the blog. It's because we just had a little excitement at our house with some native friends.

I was nudged out of a sound sleep by what sounded like one of the sliding doors opening and closing. This only slightly woke me up and I thought I may have been dreaming. A bit later, there was more noise and it was the type that didn't fit with the normal night sounds.

When I opened my eyes to see what was going on, the lights outside were on, so I got up to investigate.

Ali was outside hosing the trees! I told her to come inside and asked what she thought she was doing. This is when she burst out with the deadly threat that makes up the title of this post.

It seems that she 'heard' a noise which she described as a mix between a whipper-snipper that won't start properly and a chainsaw, coming from the backyard. Not only that, but it seemed to be moving among the branches of the trees.

Now, what she actually thought she was going to achieve with a hose I haven't yet worked out. Whether it was to freeze the poor little possums or knock them out of the tree I will try to work out later.

The scary thing is, after I had convinced her to leave the possums and come inside (which wasn't as easy as it should have been in the middle of a cold, Canberra winter's night) she was mumbling and asking me to find Harrison's super-soaker water pistol so she could have a second go at them. When I told her she should not be out there and I wouldn't get the water pistol for her to shoot the possums, she then wanted it on standby in case they came back!

All is better now and seems to have settled down. Ali has been tucked into bed and a sleeping tablet should help her relax enough to sleep through until morning. It appears that one of the side-effects of the chemo is she has trouble sleeping.

As for the possums? Well, I haven't seen or heard anything yet. Maybe they were there, just maybe...

3 comments:

Bintly said...

*giggle* nice one Ali!

I have a double-barreled super soaker somewhere, if you need the extra fire power let me know.

Ali

PS. Thanks for the distraction from doing uni work...

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison and Andrew, Is it Possum Breeding season at the moment? I was up at 1am the same morning and heard a similiar 'whipper-snipper that won't start properly and a chainsaw' noise (accurate description) also, which sounded particularly nasty. Maybe the same pair were doing the rounds of our neighbouring suburbs? We are usually amused and amazed by their tight rope walking skills as they head from pole to pole along the power lines. Best wishes for a peaceful and restful weekend.

Anne said...

hehehehe...that is all I can say..Anne